Sunday, January 09, 2005
Birth Stories
I thought I'd share some stories of the awesome job I have as a Doula. Names and dates have changed or omitted because... well, that would just be wrong.

I have had the honor of seeing two of Toni's (AKA "Chickenshit") children enter this world. They were both beautiful and Toni... I mean Chickenshit... was calm and collected both times. You can read her birth stories somewhere here. I would link directly to them, but I am too lazy do search through the archives. By the way, she calls herself Chickenshit... I would NEVER call her or any of my clients that.

Seriously, I have attended some incredible births. Some quick... some long... some very long... some painless (yes, painless)... some medicated... some not. ** I do not like to use the term "natural" because, in my opinion, every vaginal birth is natural** All showed me the strength of women and the miracle of life. (Corny I know, but true)

The first birth I attended was a close friend. This was before I was a Doula, but I knew from the moment of seeing that little head crown that I was going to become one. It was more like a party - not a very realistic introduction of what I was going to be doing. Mom was having her 4th, comfortably medicated and dad, grandma, 2 aunts (I think) and I were cheering her on. I am sure more people would have been there but we were already pushing (ha) our luck. Tears flowed by all as little M's head popped out followed by the rest of him. I was thinking "very cool".

Another "very cool" moment was being in the room at a c-section for the first time. Not that I was happy that T was having one. It was not planned. The doctor was awesome and allowed her to give it one more try of pushing in the OR room before prepping to cut. Since I was already in there they let me stay. Now I have always been into all the shows that focus on the gorry stuff... operations, ER traumas etc; but nothing could have prepared me for the "coolness" of this. I know I should have been paying more attention to mom, but I could not keep my eyes off her belly. I walked out, went up to my dad (yes, it was a family member) who is also into blood and gore, and said, "Way cool". Of course after letting everyone know she and baby were OK and it was a girl.... yadda yadda.

I really am a good Doula, I swear!





# posted by Lonna : 11:12 AM