Tuesday, September 25, 2007
What comes around...
I was the first one in my family to start having babies and my kids have been showered with wonderful gifts from the time they were born. Well... mostly wonderful gifts. The not-so-wonderful ones come with batteries, make a lot of noise and play the same tune, ring or jingle over and over until you want to rip the damn toy out of the kids hand and toss (no chuck) it out the window. My sisters were the ones who usually purchased these and it's payback time.
It started innocently (ahem) enough with Tickle Me Elmo. It was cute and it was my niece's
birthday which just happens to be right before Hanukkah and Christmas. Luckily
for me, I found Chicken Dance Elmo and Going to the Potty Elmo the same year. She is now five and I have run out of Elmo's... plus my sister called me over the summer and asked if it was "OK with me" to sell the Elmo collection at her garage sale.... UMMM
NO! Instead she did this...
(not sure what Dora is doing in there, but whatever).
Anyway, it is niece #2's second birthday and I have been racking my brain to figure out what I can get her. Can you guess? Yep, TMX Elmo! Elmo upgraded... Elmo louder, more annoying, bigger and better than before.
Gotta love being an Auntie!
posted by Lonna : 2:54 PM
Monday, September 24, 2007
I have attended over 50 births in the past 8 years. All different. Each and every one has a uniqueness to it that makes it remarkeable. It makes going to "work" an unknown. I never know when it will happen, what will happen or the outcome. If I only had a magic ball.
One of the commonalities of birth is that most woman will, at some point, think they can't continue. Whether medicated, unmedicated... supported by many or alone... they will say "I can't". Fear, pain, hormones and frustration will overcome. Part of my role is to encourage, to support and help push through that moment in time woman are unsure that they CAN, they WILL and they are ABLE. Many women feel as though they are not measuring up... they aren't doing it well enough, fast enough, that they aren't strong enough... that because Best Friend Susie did it this way and Aunt Grace did it this way or Mom's birth went this way, mine should go that way too. Or because I believe in this or she believes in that... So wrong. And, to me, so sad. I wish I could erase the would have, could have, should have's. EYE ON THE PRIZE ladies. You don't walk away with a metal of honor or a better baby if you birth a certain way. No way is right or wrong and no woman should feel "less than" if they choose to birth a certain way. Be informed. Make informed decisions. Healthy mom... healthly baby. Thats the prize.
posted by Lonna : 12:49 PM
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
What you may find under a teenage boys bed
43 Waterbottles, 11 Jewel Fruit Snack boxes (all empty of course) plus a full garbage bag filled with freeze pop wrappers (about 50), assorted candy wrappers, gum wrappers and much much more!
posted by Lonna : 10:09 AM
Saturday, July 21, 2007
The summertime rap
Mom... mom... mooooommmmmmm, I'm bored, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, Get me, Take me, Buy me, Got a couple bucks, There's nothing to eat, Who can I call, Nobody's home, Do I hafta, I'm going out, What are we doing today, Are we doing anything tomorrow, Is dad home yet, When's dad coming home, Can I have, I need, I want, I'm tired, Mom... mom... moooommmmmmmm.
Put it to your own music... in my head it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.
posted by Lonna : 8:12 PM
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Finished:Dancing Naked at the Edge of Dawn
- the others in the "series" were betterShopoholic & Baby
- this woman in the story frustrates me to no end, but the books are easy reads and pretty funnyFamily Tree
- great story about a white couple who has a dark skinned baby and the search for where the gene came from.
Now reading:Dream When You're Feeing Blue
- Not usually my kind of story, but I am a huge Elizabeth Berg fan... we shall see
Tried to read:Middlesex
- I have had this book on my shelf for a long time and after Oprah picked it I started reading. Couldn't get through the first 50 pages.The Girls
- I love this stuff on TV but was bored to pieces when trying to read it.
posted by Lonna : 6:22 PM
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Not sure who any of these belong to
posted by Lonna : 11:41 AM
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Day one... 10:30AM
Summer break has started for high school. Anyone got extra food stamps?
posted by Lonna : 11:07 AM
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
linked to me I thought I should post an update.... I know I will have hundreds of hits since she is so damn popular!
Thirteen things even though it is not Thursday:
- It is now friggin hot... I do not like the heat and humidity. Today is supposed to cool off and I am very happy.
- The cicadas are coming... just what I need is more noise in my head!
- Fun Fair is over... one more year and I am out of this school. Hopefully next year I will get some help and things won't get so overwhelming for me.
- I am still getting used to my new laptop. A warning for those of you thinking of getting Windows Vista... DON'T DO IT. I have had to upgrade, find patches or replace most of my programs. It sucks.
- I have had no clients this year. I took some time off because I had too many things going on and now I am a bit too comfortable not being on call. I did have an interview with a couple last week, but they hired someone else. Really fine... but I need to get my butt back in gear.
- The news had really bothered me lately... too much about Paris, Brittany, Lindsay. Who cares... throw them all in a cell with nothing and teach them all a lesson at once.
- TV... sick of House (they are always wrong 3 times before they cure someone), love Boston Legal (when the dwarf shows up it cracks me up), not sure about Grey's spin-off (if it aint' broke, why mess with it)
- New BonJovi coming soon... if you haven't heard the new song go here
. Love it!
- Since my kids don't let me take their pictures anymore I am getting my kicks on my neices.. Aren't they cute?!? I can't remember when the last time my kids sharred anything.
- Valerie Bertinelli is back... I loved her. One Day at a Time was one of my favorite shows. I have looked for re-runs with no luck. Maybe I should have not admitted to that. Now all I need is Kristy McNichol and I am all set.
- Next year I will have 2 kids in high school. How did that happen?
-I am back on track with exercising. I run/walk 10 miles per week and lift once a week. YEA!
-Starbucks has a new drink... they were handing out samples today. Orange Creme Frap... it tastes like a baby aspirin. Very yummy!
That's all folks... until next time!
posted by Lonna : 6:09 PM
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Let's get this our of the way so the weather can be nice next week for our school's Fun Fair.... everyone pray please!
posted by Lonna : 7:33 AM
Thursday, April 05, 2007
posted by Lonna : 7:56 PM