Tuesday, March 01, 2005
Do the Doula
Today I met with two Doula's that live in my town. We have been playing tag since November and finally got to meet. It is so nice having people so close that share the same passion as I do. Both were a bit more "granola" than I am, but surprisingly I found myself a bit envious. As one nursed her 2 year old then her 4 month old, the other nursed her 18 month old... one had 5 children who were all homeschooled (not jealous of that), the other talked about when she would get pregnant with her second. I felt OLD.
We talked about birth experiences, both ours and the ones we have witnessed. One teaches childbirth classes which got me back on track. I have had my certification materials for close to a year and have not completed anything. We discussed how beautiful it is, the whole birth thing. How amazing it is to hold someone's hand through it. How in awe we are of the whole process. We talked about different hospitals, midwives, doctors... policies, rules and politics. They asked me how I did it when my kids were babies. Again I felt OLD. I shared pictures... my brag book. We took turns reading stories to the 2 year old. One said she felt like we had known eachother for a long time.
There seems to be an immediate bond between "us"... I am not sure if I would call it friendship (at least not yet), but we definitely have a common interest that ties us together.

# posted by Lonna : 5:38 PM