Saturday, March 05, 2005
Local News
Big hearts result in empty stomachs
Cary teens raise money for poor kids around the world through 30-hour famine
"During the event, students ask for sponsor donations while they go 30 hours without solid food to experience what hunger is like"
"Teens found temptation everywhere during the famine" "A bag of Pringles left on top of a desk in the church teen room...":Candy that had fallen beneath the couches in the room lay cruelly at eye level for those wrapped in sleeping bags on the floor""Some of the teachers waved food in front of my face during school Friday"

Before I go on a rant about how much this bugs me, I need to say that I am totally for raising money to help those who need it... and to help kids in our society understand how incredibly fortunate they are just to have a roof over their heads.
"Forgoing food wasn't the only thing the teens did over the weekend...""They took part in role-playing games...""Notes planted around the church yard informed students what land could be farmed for food and what couldn't."
BUT, and for me this is a bit BUT, we have a huge problem with food issues in this country. I don't think I have to list what they are. And I am not sure that teens starving themselves is a good way to hold a fundraiser. And to have teachers, other students and youth leaders saying, "Look what I've got that you can't have" just pisses me off. You can't tell me that at least one of those teens is not thinking that this is a great way to loose a pound or two. Or that one is not thinking that he or she can now go out and bindge for a day.
Besides the fact that they can not possibly experience, even begin to experience true hunger pains... none of us can. We can't put ourselves in the place of people starving, even for 30 hours. These teens got to walk out of there and eat.
Fundraisers shouldn't put the children at risk... I think this one teaches the wrong lesson.

What do you think?

# posted by Lonna : 12:45 PM