Friday, July 22, 2005
I got your back... do you have mine?
We have been having many "teen" issues this past week. The main one being we caught my son (14) at an attempt to leave the house at 2am. Caught meaning I found the basement window open a crack, a footprint in the well and the well cover slightly off... I never said he was a brilliant child. Anyway, we have been dealing with him. So Sunday night my other son slept at a friends house and left his bike outside overnight and it got stolen. Next day I call the police to fill out a report and the cop comes to my house. (Bear with me) While I was outside talking to the officer, two of my neighbors were outside. After he left, I called one to let her know why there the police were over and let her know it was not a neighborhood thing and all was OK. She said as her and my other neighbor were outside... OK wait, this is getting complicated. Here is how the rest of the conversation went:
D: I need to tell you something... when we saw the police talking to you "S" said she wondered if it was about Justin. I asked her why and she said someone told her he was out one morning at 2am and another at 5:30.
Me: I appreciate you telling me this, we know about it and have been dealing with it.
D: I thought as a parent and friend you should know and "S" wasn't going to tell you. I told her she should. Please don't say anything to her... she asked me not to tell you even though I said you should know.

We chatted for a few more minutes, I hung with her and called "S" to tell her the same thing about why the police were at my house. Did she say anything? NO... Not a word.
I was pissed, hurt and confused. If I had that kind of information about a friends child, I would tell her. Immediately. For the safety of the child. For the support of a parent. For friendship... I cannot figure out how she can hold onto that kind of information. If, god forbid, I knew something like that and the child did it again and got hurt... I would never forgive myself. And to tell someone else like it is random gossip and tell them not to say anything. As a parent. As a friend. As a neighbor. I am sickened. She had no idea we knew and had been dealing with this topic... so its not like she knew we were dealing with it.
I don't know... I can't confront her... I am still upset (obviously)... I just think it sucks.

# posted by Lonna : 4:44 PM