Monday, October 10, 2005
Lesson learned
Jerry took the boys camping this weekend and what was supposed to be a nice quiet, restful time turned out to be, well...
Early Saturday morning my 14 year old comes into my room to get a towel. Please not that we have the discussion about putting towels in their bathroom or hall closet, using a towel more than once (god forbid) and going into the laundry room to get a towel instead of waking me up out of precious sleep for a freakin towel. I was in a deep sleep, which happens very rarely, and startled when he opened my door and accidentally banged his arm on the other door (we have double doors) making a loud thud. I pulled a muscle in my neck when I turned suddenly... Have a nice weekend guys, I will just be lying here not moving. Of course, being the good mom I am, I did not let on that this was why I was walking around like my mother. (She had neck surgery a few years ago and we always make fun of her because she has to turn her whole body to see something behind her... I know, we are sick)
Anyway, everyone leaves... all is quiet. I go to bed after taking mega doses of Motrin. Can't sleep... because I don't sleep. Ever. That night I think I saw every hour on the clock. Watched Philadelphia (Tom Hanks) and about a million Will & Grace episodes. Thank you TiVo.
Sunday morning I decided to get up and move. I also had a Newborn class to observe... one of the last steps to completing my Childbirth Ed certification. My neck felt a little better. I go for the class only to realize I had the date wrong and it is next Sunday. Shit. I go home to get some computer stuff done and my computer keeps freezing. Mid afternoon I hit a wall... so tired, neck sore... need sleep. HA! Can't sleep. Ever. Decide to meet my parents and sister for dinner. OK, honestly, I hadn't seen baby Ella in 24 hours and had to make sure she still thought I was the best Auntie on the planet. At dinner I was trying not to turn like my mother... cause it is no fun when they make fun of me.
I know this is getting long and boring... but this is my blog and I am going to continue.
I got home about 8 and decided to take an Ambien. This is the only way I will sleep. Ever. Ahhhh Ambien. My drug of necessity. Problem is that I have a client due soon... she is 2cm already. I never take a pill when I am on call for fear that I will get called and not hear the phone. I rationalize by saying that she is 2 weeks away from her due date and if I don't get some sleep I will be of no use to her if I am a zombie and it is early, so if she calls in the middle of the night I will be fine. I decide to take 1/2. Murphy's law. Phone rings at 10:30. I go to the hospital feeling like the morning after a drinking spree. I should not have been driving... it was that bad. My neck was aching and my head was spinning. My client was checked and she was not any more dilated than at her apt the previous week... contractions were spaced and she was not even wincing with them. If I was in the right state of mind, I would have figured that out on the phone and had her call me after she got to the hospital to let me know if she was staying or not. I told her that I wasn't feeling well and was going home... hospital is only 10 minutes away... call me if they are keeping you or call in the am from home. Please note: I am good at what I do and I felt like crap leaving her (and her hubby). I totally beat myself up the entire night and morning. I shouldn't have taken that stupid pill. Turned out that they spent the night but were sent home in the morning. Contractions stopped. They did give her the option to induce, but she decided not to. We had discussed that prior and I am glad that she was educated enough to make that decision. I did not tell them about the Ambien, but told them I was sorry I did not stay. I would have been no good there. I thought they would have been mad, but they weren't. Dad said I looked like crap.
So it's now Monday. They come home soon and I have gotten no sleep. Luckily it has been quiet. Tomorrow the contractor is starting on re-siding our house... the banging will begin nice and early. And I will be on night 3 of no sleep. Because I have learned my lesson. On call- no Ambien.
My neck feels better... but the next time my son wakes me up for a towel, I may use it to ring his...

# posted by Lonna : 2:09 PM