Thursday, January 26, 2006
This is gonna be tough
I got a call last week from another Doula asking if I could help a pregnant teen who has no one else to be with her at the birth. She is due this week. I got in touch with the person who runs a wonderful program called T.A.M.I. (Teenage Mothers' Initiative) and got some info. Of course, I said yes.
On Tuesday, I went to the weekly meeting and saw teenagers with toddlers or babies, pregnant or both. It was tough to see. Especially since I have a son that is 15. The "girls" were there to hang out, eat and for the most part support eachother. They earned points for going to school, opening savings accounts, working and depending on the number of points, they earned gift certificates. Some of the girls were very sweet and some I wanted to smack upside the head. Today, I met the teen at her doctor's appointment and now we wait. This is going to be a tough one... she is scarred, unsure and knows nothing about the process. All I can do right now is reassure her that I will be there holding her hand.
My head is already spinning about what I can do for this group. Donate services, come to meetings to answer questions, free education... I have to be careful because I tend to get wrapped up in volunteering. I am taking a step back, letting it all sink in and waiting for this birth before I get more involved.

# posted by Lonna : 2:38 PM