Monday, August 07, 2006
To schedule or not
I have been thinking lately that this blog is pretty boring. I am not very open about my life and it has definitely come across here. I decided to start talking about other stuff I would like to share opinions on... to gather thoughts... to rant... to discuss. Hopefully, my 2 readers will be OK with that :-)

My sister had her second baby 10 months ago... an adorable little girl, who has an auntie that loves her. Her 4 year old sister, who is also very much loved by her auntie, was born via c-section because she would not descend. I was there, as a sister/doula. There was no getting that baby down. Pushing, position changes... she wouldn't budge. And her heartbeat went down every time indicating that the cord was being compresses. The doctor was wonderful... he even gave it one more shot in the operating room before the c-section. He also let me stay, which gives him a permanent place in my heart. Anyway, my sister chose to have a repeat c-section for her second. I did not agree with her choice, but respected her decision and let it go. Plus the result was this... two little girls who has an auntie that loves them. The shirts say so.
My current client is going through a similar situation. One difference... I am hired, not related. Another is that she wants a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). She wants it bad. I was not there for her first so I can only go by what she tells me. Basically, her cervix did not open past 6cm and after of hours of labor, a c-section was performed. She said she was confined to bed (problem 1) and not given options of changing positions (problem 2). Anyway... she now wants to discuss VBAC with her doctors and they pretty much shoot her down. They want her to schedule a Section and do it now (she is only 27 weeks) because of the holiday schedule (her due date is Nov 6, unless Election Day is a holiday, I am not sure what they are talking about). Again, I am supportive because this is not my situation, not my birth and not my life. BUT, she hired me as a professional and is asking my opinion. I explained to her that unless there is a medical reason to write in red "C-Section" all over your chart, you may want to get a second opinion. Bluntly, switch doctors. Because if the doctor does not agree, especially this early on... it most likely won't happen. I am not sure what she will decide.
Another situation... I emailed my cousin yesterday to say Happy Birthday. She is due Sept 11th and told me they have an induction date scheduled for Sept 5th. She lives in Arizona, so I am not going to be there as a relative or doula. I keep quiet. Let me just add that the reason she WANTS to be induced is so she can come back to Illinois for her 20th High School Reunion.
There are reasons for everything... people make choices for different reasons. Many factors go into making choices. I respect the fact that someone may make a decision that I wouldn't make. That does not mean I don't get frustrated and concerned. Does any of this frustrate and concern you?

# posted by Lonna : 9:24 AM